Are you an Australian Defence Force personnel posted to Newcastle? Relocating can be both exciting and daunting, especially if you’re not familiar with the city. At Newcastle Buyers Agent, we understand the challenges you face when purchasing a property, and we’re here to help.
As a buyers agent in Newcastle, we’ve compiled some tips to help you find the perfect property that meets your needs and budget. First, do your research by learning about the different suburbs and amenities available. This will help narrow down your search and give you an idea of what to expect from the city.
Where to start
If you’re planning to work at the Williamtown RAAF base, consider the distance and time it will take to commute from your new home. Choose a property that’s conveniently located to make the commute as easy as possible. Some popular suburbs for defence personnel in Newcastle include
- Fern Bay and Stockton on the northern side of the Hunter River
- Mayfield, Adamstown/Adamstown Heights, Merewether on the southern side of the Hunter River
- Medowie and Raymond Terrace to the north west
When choosing a property, consider the proximity to amenities such as schools, hospitals, shopping centres, and recreational facilities. This is especially important if you have children or dependents. Schools are driven by their intake area, and you have to live in certain zones to get your child into a particular school. To find out more about schools and their performance, click here.
The major shopping centres are Westfield Kotara, Charlestown Square & Green Hills Shopping Centre. Unlike most cities, our CBD doesn’t have a lot of retail offerings. There’s plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars to choose from though. In our suburbs there are plenty of supermarkets both major retailers such as Woolworths & Coles as well as a number of IGAs and other independent operators.
When You Think You’ve Found the Right One
When inspecting a property, check the condition of the property, including the appliances, fixtures, and fittings. Ensure that the property is well-maintained and free from any major repairs or maintenance issues. We always recommend pre-purchase electrical inspections on top of seeking independent pre-purchase building inspections. An electrical report can provide a check list of what is working, what needs repair, and how much power is being drawn from the street in case you want to run tools or are looking to install solar panels.
Financial Assistance For Defence Personnel
If you’re eligible for financial assistance with your move, ask about what’s covered and how much of the buyers agent fee can be claimed. Some clients in the past have covered a significant portion of my fees with assistance from different programs that are offered my Defence. Why not ask? You can not only have an expert on your side to ensure you get the right result but you may find it is a lot less out of your pocket than you think. D
- Popular suburbs for defence personnel working at the Williamtown RAAF base include Fern Bay, Stockton, Mayfield, Adamstown and Merewether.
- Proximity to amenities such as schools, hospitals, shopping centres, and recreational facilities should be considered when choosing a property in Newcastle.
- Check the condition of the property during inspections, including appliances, fixtures and fittings, and consider pre-purchase electrical inspections.
- A good professional buyers agent can help navigate the complexities of the purchase process, inspect properties, negotiate and assist with pre-settlement inspections.
- Consider financial assistance available to ADF personnel for their move and how much of the buyers agent fee can be claimed.
At Newcastle Buyers Agent, we can make all the difference when relocating to a new city. As a professional buyers agent, we have a deep knowledge of the local property market and can help you find a suitable property that meets your needs and budget. We can also help you navigate the complexities of the purchase process by inspecting on your behalf, negotiating, and assisting with the pre-settlement inspections. To find out more call 0438 502 371 or book a chat.